Mother’s Milk Books Ltd recognises the importance of privacy of information. We are committed to protecting your privacy. We will only use the information that we collect about you lawfully (in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation or GDPR, 2018).
Do you have to provide your personal information to us?
You have the right not to provide us with your personal information but without important pieces of information we will be unable to respond or to enter into a contract with you (such as dispatch a book you wish to purchase). We will only collect information that is necessary for the purpose.
Why do we collect personal information?
Personal information is collected for a number of reasons, such as to reply to your query, to respond to your manuscript submission, to dispatch a book you buy from our shop, or to enter you into our Writing Prize.
What do we do with the information we collect?
We use it to communicate with you, or to fulfil our obligations (such as dispatching books you have purchased). We also use it to monitor and analyse our performance so that we may improve our service.
How long do we keep your personal information?
Personal information is kept for a maximum of 5 years and then securely destroyed.
What are your rights under data protection laws?
Here is a list of the rights that all individuals have under data protection laws. They don’t apply in all circumstances. The right of data portability is only relevant from May 2018.
- The right to be informed about the processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed
- The right to object to processing of your personal information
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”)
- The right to request access to your personal information and to obtain information about how we process it
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information (“data portability”)
- Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you
- You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office which enforces data protection laws: https://ico.org.uk/.
How and when can you withdraw your consent?
You can withdraw your consent by contacting us by email (see contact details below).
What should you do if your personal information changes?
If you wish us to have your most up-to-date details you can do so by contacting us by email, though it is not necessary for us to have this data.
What We Do with your Information (for Customers, Supporters etc.)
Information you give us
You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise and we will only use that information as we specifically state when you provide that information or as set out in this policy.
- Newsletters: We have newsletters that keep readers up-to-date with information on our books, authors, events, offers, book review and submission opportunities etc. If you subscribe to one of our newsletters, we will require you to enter your email address so that we can send the newsletter to you. We may also ask you to provide other information about yourself, such as your name, so that we can personalise your newsletters. You can unsubscribe from our newsletters at any time by clicking the link included in every newsletter sent.
- Prizes: We sometimes run prizes and prize draws and, in addition to your answer or entry, we will require you to send us certain information, such as your name and email address. We will only use this information to administer the promotion and for any other purpose to which you consented when you entered.
- Email, postal address and other contact details: You may wish to contact us from time to time by sending us emails, by filling in contact forms on one of our websites, by purchasing items from our shop or by volunteering to review books. We will only use this information to respond to your query or to dispatch your goods.
- Payment information: You may provide payment information when purchasing goods from our shop. Transactions are processed securely via our online shop.
Where do we store this information?
We may store your information on our own secure computer systems. We only store information on our systems when it is necessary, such as logging details of entrants to our Writing Prize. We have password protected systems and anti-virus software to secure this data. This information is also stored on our secure cloud backup system, where files are encrypted.
Who do we share your information with?
We share your information with selected third parties if it is necessary to carry out our business with you, such as our including our content management system (Joomla!), our ecommerce provider (HikaShop), our newsletter manager (Mailchimp), our payment processor (Paypal), our email provider (Gmail), or the Post Office. All have their own security and privacy policies in place.
Information we collect about you
Like millions of other website owners, Mother’s Milk Books Ltd uses Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a piece of software that grabs data about my visitors (you).
Google Analytics records data such as:
- What website you came from to get here.
- How long you stay for.
- What kind of computer you’re using.
The tracking information allows us to better understand the kind of people who visit our site and what content they’re reading. This allows us to make better decisions about design and content. All of our activity falls within the bounds of the Google Analytics Terms of Service.
Want to opt out of tracking?
What We Do with your Information if you Work with Us
For Authors, Illustrators and other Contractors
We may store your contact details (eg address, email, telephone number) so that we can keep in contact with you. These details may be stored on our own secure computer systems. We have password protected systems and anti-virus software to secure this data. This information is also stored on our secure cloud backup system, where files are encrypted.
We may store your bank details in order to make one off payments and royalty payments. These are stored only with our bank and accessible through their secure online banking system.
We may share your information with third parties where it is necessary to carry out our business with you, such as printing companies who may dispatch copies of books directly to you.